Skill Level: Easy
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 15 minutes
Cool: 2 hours
Apple Butter Cake:
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients:
Apple Butter Roll:
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line a 15 x 10 pan with parchment paper, leaving enough extra parchment sticking out on both sides of the pan to use to lift the cake out after baking.
- Spread the batter onto prepared pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes. The top of the cake will spring back when gently touched when done. Carefully lift the cake out by the parchment onto a flat surface and slowly roll the cake from the short edge.
- Transfer the cake roll to a wire rack, and cool to room temperature.
Cream Cheese Filling (make while cake cools)
- Whisk cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth. Filling should have a spreadable consistency that's not too thin or it will ooze out of the sides while you're rolling it up. If its too thin, add a little powdered sugar. If its too thick, add a half teaspoon of water at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- When the cake reaches room temperature, transfer to a flat surface and carefully unroll it.
- Spread the cream cheese filling evenly over cake, leaving a 1/2 inch border on all sides and then spread a layer of apple butter on top of that
- Carefully roll the cake, slowly peeling away the parchment paper as you roll being careful not to crack the cake.
- Wrap the pumpkin roll tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- Remove and unwrap the pumpkin roll and transfer it to your serving dish.
- Lightly dust the pumpkin roll with powdered sugar, slice and serve.